Two seriously injured in separate crashes

Share Adjust Comment Print

Chatham-Kent police continue to investigate two serious Tuesday crashes.

Shortly after 10:30 a.m., emergency crews responded to a single-vehicle collision on Kimball Road, just north of Langstaff Line in Wallaceburg. Police say the driver, a 23-year-old Wallaceburg woman, was travelling north on Kimball Road when she lost control, left the roadway, struck a hydro pole and a ditch culvert before coming to rest on a neighbouring lawn.

The woman was rushed to the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance – Sydenham Campus and then airlifted to a London hospital with life-threatening injuries, police added.

In the other crash, crews responded to a single-vehicle collision on Tecumseh Line, west of Merlin Road in Raleigh Township, at around 9:30 p.m. Police said the driver, a 33-year-old Chatham man, was travelling west on Tecumseh Line when he lost control, left the roadway and collided with a hydro pole and culvert on the north side of the roadway.

He was taken to local hospital and then airlifted to a London Hospital with life-threatening injuries.

The traffic unit has taken over both investigations. Anyone with information is asked to contact Const. Randy Whittaker at or 519-355-1092.

Three arrested after search warrant

Members of the Chatham-Kent police intelligence section searched a Chatham residence Tuesday looking for items related to a suspected Cannabis Act offence.

Officers found an indoor cannabis grow operation that had been harvested and partially dismantled. During the search, a quantity of suspected psilocybin – magic mushrooms – was located, police said.

A 33-year-old man and 22-year-old woman, both of Chatham, were charged with being in possession of a controlled substance. They were released with a court date.

A 27-year-old Chatham woman was charged with being in possession of a controlled substance and failing to comply with her release conditions. She was also released with a court date.

Failure to comply charge

A woman was released from custody in July with several conditions, including she notify police in writing prior to any change in address.

Early Wednesday, police responded to a disturbance on Thames Street in Chatham, where police reportedly learned the woman was no longer living at the last address on file.

The 40-year-old woman of no fixed address was arrested and charged with failing to comply with her release conditions. She was held for bail.

Warrant arrests

A man wanted for breaching his conditional sentence went to police headquarters Tuesday and turned himself in.

The 29-year-old Chatham man was arrested and taken to the courthouse pending a bail hearing.

On Tuesday evening, officers found a man on Princess Street who was wanted on a surety relief warrant. The 51-year-old Chatham man was arrested and taken to a local detention centre.

Fraud warning

Police continue to receive complaints from local citizens about suspicious phone calls from scammers threatening to arrest them if they don’t provide personal information.

Citizens are reminded that personal or financial information should never be given to anyone over the phone or internet unless you can confirm their legitimacy. Fraudsters use this information to steal your money and commit crimes in your name.

For more information on fraud types and how to protect yourself, visit