Kitchen fire causes building evacuation

Share Adjust Comment Print

Last week, the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to reports of a possible fire in the 100 Block of MacKenzie Way SW.

On Wednesday, Jan. 8 at 4:05 p.m., twelve firefighters arrived on scene to find fire alarm bells ringing in the four-storey, commercial/residential complex.

All residents had safely evacuated outside to the street, and there were no injuries reported.

Fire crews entered the building and found light smoke conditions in the hallway of the second floor.

After thoroughly searching each apartment, firefighters quickly determined that a cooking incident caused the smoke, which then activated the building’s fire alarm system.

The affected apartment and the adjacent hallway were ventilated, and the building’s alarm system was reset.

After approximately one hour from the incident, the area was deemed safe and all residents were allowed to return to their homes and businesses.

“Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of fires in the home,” said Deputy Fire Chief Garth Rabel in a press release.

“It is important that you remain present and attentive while cooking. Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use.”

The AFD also urges residents to ensure that their homes are equipped with smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors that function properly.

It is also recommended to keep a readily accessible residential fire extinguisher in the kitchen area.

Comments